The History of Medical Marijuana Research

Posted: May 6, 2017 in Medical Censorship
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

A Life of Its Own: The Truth About Medical Marijuana

Helen Kapalos (2016)

Film Review

A Life of Its Own profiles the parents movement behind the 2016 Australian law allowing doctors to legally prescribe marijuana for their patients. The grassroots movement began with a policeman and his wife who obtained black market cannabis (on a doctor’s advice) to treat their son for severe side effects of cancer chemotherapy. It came to include dozens of other parents who had to break the law to treat children with intractable epilepsy and other severe disabilities.

Cannabis has been used to treat a variety of medical conditions for over 5,000 years. American doctors first used cannabis resin to treat children’s seizures in 1841. In the 1930s, shortly before the paper, plastics and petroleum industry conspired to have hemp (and cannabis) taxed out of existence (see The Politics of Hemp), US doctors wrote more than 3 million prescriptions for cannabis tincture for a variety of conditions.

There are few (roughly 100) randomized controlled trials of marijuana’s effectiveness as a medical treatment. This relates partly to strict laws in most countries prohibiting the cultivation of cannabis and partly to the unwillingness of the pharmaceutical industry to fund medical marijuana research.

I was very surprised to learn that most of this research occurs in Israel, funded by US foundations. The world pioneer of marijuana research is Raphael Mechoulom, professor of medicinal chemistry. Mechoulom, who first began studying the medical effects of cannabis in the 1960s, was the first to identify tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD), its main therapeutic ingredients. In addition to identifying the presence of CBD1 receptors in the brain and CBD2 receptors in the immune system, he has also developed dozens of cannabis strains specific for different illnesses.

Israel has conducted the largest number of cannabis trials in the world, involving 20,000 patients at four hospitals. In addition to epilepsy, conditions studied include Parkinsonism, Tourette’s, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain, PTSD and terminal cancer.

Comments
  1. futuret says:

I AM IN FULL SUPPORT OF LEGALIZING MARIJUANA PERIOD. I DO NOT LIKE ANY SMOKE, BUT YOU CAN MANUFACTURE IT AS AN OIL, CAPSULE, AND POWDER. A PERSON SHOULD BE CAUTIOUS LIKE WITH ANY CONSUMPTION, AS OVER DOSING CAN CAUSE SEVER SYMPTOMS, ESPECIALLY EXTREME NAUSEA. AS WITH ANY CONSUMPTION DO NOT DRIVE OR OPERATE ANY KIND OF MACHINERY. DOES ANYONE REALIZE THAT IN TOBACCO PRODUCTS THERE ARE 600 TOXINS THAT CONTAIN EVERY HARMFUL ELEMENT THAT YOU CAN THINK OF. GENERATIONS UPON GENERATIONS AGO, TOBACCO IN OF ITSELF WAS NOT HARMFUL.

• I totally agree, futuret. I think the cannabis tincture is best as it enables doctors and patients to be more precise about the dose.

• futuret says:

I ALSO BELIEVE THAT A PERSON SHOULD HAVE THE OPTION OF USING MARIJUANA IN PLACE OF ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION, BUT NEVER TO MIX THE TWO TOGETHER.

2. Now, as you may recall, Dr. Bramhall, I was most severely injured in a terrible car accident on the highways of Minnesota. I suffered broken bones, torn shoulders, traumatic brain injuries and my back and neck? Why, I cannot even begin to describe the pain from the injuries to both and while I was receiving ‘care’ in Minnesota, not one doctor prescribed pain medication for me. I was told that I should go to Behavioral Therapy and learn some deep breathing exercises to help me cope with the pain, also I was prescribed gabapentin, which is a psych med. I did not got to Behavioral Therapy, nor did I take the gabapentin. I’ve just suffered.

Now, here I am in Baltimore and my primary care doctor refers me to pain management and…sit down for this…I was prescribed for ALL the pain that I am having to endure because of a horrific car crash, hemorrhoid ointment. Yes, you read that right. I was prescribed hemorrhoid ointment! For the love of !!!!!

I am bent over a walker. I cannot even walk upright anymore and I am supposed to benefit from hemorrhoid ointment. The only part of my body that is not in pain is my ass, but I’ve got something for that when I’ve got nothing for the pain that my body is wracked with. Besides that, I have not seen ‘hide’ nor hair of a hemorrhoid. I don’t have hemorrhoids.

I know that I have been saying that I am against the legalization of marijuana because smoke acts as an irritant to me, but I may be changing my stance and now I find out that Donald Trump is about to declare war on marijuana. Don’t that just beat all???!!! AGAIN! For the love of !!!!!

• futuret says:

BELOVED SHELBY YOU DO BRING BACK MEMORIES OF MY LATE MOTHER’S DEATH TO ME. MY MOTHER WAS BLEEDING FROM HER COLON SHE HAD COLON CANCER, BUT THEY MISDIAGNOSED HER WITH HEMORRHOIDS, PUT HER ON HARMFUL BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATION, ETC…AND I LOST HER TOO SOON. COMING THIS MAY 22, WILL BE 32 YEARS THAT I HAVE LOST HER.

• Oh dear futuret, bless your heart! I am SO very sorry to learn about what happened to your mother. That is just the absolute end of enough!

My dad also died from colon cancer and they never even offered him a colonoscopy when he was due for one. The only thing they gave him were blood pressure medications. They want us ALL dead and done with! A dead person costs the health ‘care’ system, nothing! This is why I wish this shithole would just finish imploding and be done with it. I can’t even make it to a deserted island because no deserted islands have handicap accessibility and I seriously need that seeing as how I’m bent over a walker, for god’s sake!

Also, the month of May is a bad month for me too because I lost my sister to crack 4 years ago today.

Futuret, I don’t know what to say, I am that outdone!

• futuret says:

YOUR CAR ACCIDENT WAS NO PICNIC; WE ALL HAVE TO STAND TOGETHER AND BE ON THE WATCHTOWER, EVEN WITH THE PEOPLE WHO WE ENTRUST WITH OUR LIVES. IT IS AMAZING THOUGH, THAT ONE DOCTOR WILL NOT TESTIFY AGAINST ANOTHER DOCTOR, AND IF THEY DO, IT HAS TO BE A DOCTOR TESTIFYING FROM ANOTHER STATE, AND IT IS A MIRACLE IF YOU GET ONE TO DO SO. TAKE CARE AND TRY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. MY LATE FATHER WAS KILLED IN A CAR ACCIDENT IN JUNE OF 1971. NEEDLESS TO SAY WHEN I LOST MY LAST PARENT, I BECAME AN ALCOHOLIC; ON MOTHER’S AND FATHER’S DAY I WOULD DRINK OVER A QUART OF LIQUOR AND I AM 5’81/2” AND JUST WEIGHED 89 POUNDS. I CAN DRINK NOW, BUT NOT AN ALCOHOLIC, BUT I INDEED WAS ONE. I AM 10,000% IN FAVOR OF PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

• Futuret, I did buy another car, but thanks to PTSD, I had to turn around and sell it 3 months later. I just can’t drive, I’m THAT terrified! Unfortunately, since I am in Baltimore, MD, I was on a transit bus that was boarded by criminals who, with a gun, tried to hold us up. I now use Metro Mobility to get around and they sometimes leave me stranded for hours while I’m the phone unable to get in touch with anyone. It is a nightmare!

3. This pain specialist is truly heartless, Shelby (and I can’t help but wonder also a touch racist). In my experience black patients frequently have major problems getting doctors to take their pain seriously. I have checked Maryland’s medical marijuana website and as a person with a chronic pain condition you qualify to have it prescribed for you: https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/medical-marijuana/MD/maryland

As I mention above, I think you should stick with the tincture. If you can’t find a tincture at a local marijuana dispensary, here’s a recipe from the same website about making your own: https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/blog/marijuana-recipes/marijuana-recipes-cannabis-tincture

My biggest concern about you trying to find a doctor to prescribe it is that you don’t get ripped off. Some of these clinics are charging as much as $300 for the first visit and that doesn’t sound terribly compassionate to me.

I don’t think Trump is going to be prosecuting patients who use medical marijuana in states where it’s legal any time soon – Congress has refused to appropriate any money for this purpose: https://thefreshtoast.com/cannabis/congress-allots-0-jeff-sessions-crackdown-medical-marijuana/

• futuret says:

I REALLY DO NOT SEE TRUMP AS A RACIST OF ANY KIND, BUT I DO SEE HIM AS A PART OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER WORKING FOR DEPOPULATION. I DO SEE HIM AS DESTROYING US WOMEN SO THAT WE CAN NOT HELP OUR HUSBANDS OR SIGNIFICANT ORDERS. I DO SEE HIM AS HAVING A HATE FOR WOMEN WHO ARE POOR AND TRYING TO GET A HEAD. I DO SEE HIM AS HAVING A HATE FOR POOR FAMILIES. HE HATES US WHITES, BLACKS, AND OTHERS WHO SEE THE TRUTH AND WHO ARE POOR. AS FAR AS RACE, HE COULD CARELESS; IF YOU ARE NOT A PART OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER, HE INDEED WANTS YOU OUT. HE DOES WANT TO DESTROY ALL FAMILIES, EXCEPT FOR THE ELITE.

• Dr. Bramhall, I sincerely appreciate all the research that you have done on my behalf. And you are right about how heartless the pain management doctor was. All of them have been that way and I did indeed, blog about the fact that when doctors see their Black patients coming, they refuse to prescribe pain meds for us stating that “doctors do not prescribe opioids for their Black patients for fear that they will become addicted to them or sell them.” That’s what the claim is. But be that as it may, there should have been something that the pain management doctor could have given me other than hemorrhoid ointment. I took to my appointment the MRIs, CT scans and even the reports from the radiologists who viewed them as to what my issues were and he just pretty much blew me off. When I told my primary care doctor what had happened, he laughed. I had always had a good rapport with him and that is why when I returned to Baltimore, I became his patient again, but things have changed and in a not so good way.

I will look into signing up for this medical marijuana but I don’t think it would benefit me to do so because of racism; exactly like what went down at pain management from Minnesota all the way to Maryland. I’d have to take the second option and make my own. I don’t know about such things and can only hope I don’t blow shit up. It wouldn’t be like a meth lab, would it? Never mind, I’m going to read up on it. And thanks again! You’re always a big help Dr. Bramhall!

4. We grow them at our farm and sell to our customers directly. It means we can offer them at very good, farm prices and we are sure of their quality. We got some GOOD MEDICAL marijuana/weeds,hemp oil,wax and their SEEDS such as Sour Diesel, Moon Rock, GrandDaddy Purple,OG Kush, Sour Og Kush, Green Crack, Jack Dream, AK-47, Purple Kush, Bubba Kush, Bubblegum Kush,Blueberry,Purple-Skunk, Master Kush, Purple Haze,Banana Kush,pineapple express, Orange kush,Night Queen,Big Bud, Cheese, BlueDream, White Russia, White Widow, G13,hash oils and seeds etc,pm me on 678) 829-7536 or mail us on deliveryexpress980@gmail.com

5. Hardy Har says:

Very informative. Thanks for the info!